Here’s another fun idea for 2 variations of a Star Spangled Watermelon Bowl. These ideas are great for celebrating the 4th of July or any other patriotic occasion. This video will give you a quick overview of how I created these 2 variations of a watermelon bowl.
Click the image below to view the video. (The player button is kind of hard to see.)
You will see the following steps in the video.
- I printed 3 sheets of Pattern Transfer Fabric with my Stars and Stripes Pattern.
- I stuck the printed Pattern Transfer Fabric to my watermelon. I used 2 sheets plus 2 stars. You can print and cut extra single stars and stripes as needed to fit your watermelon all the way around.
- I carved the rind to remove the outer green rind of the watermelon in each star and on alternating stripes.
- In order to show you 2 different looks, on one half of the melon, I carved the stars and stripes flat and the other half, I carved them for a more 3 dimensional look.
- After I pulled off the pattern, I thought the carved melon looked too plain. So, I carved the side with the 3 dimensional stars with more stripes (like I teach in my Star Flower Bowl Lesson). On the side of the melon with the flat stars, I carved stripes to reveal the red fruit between each white stripe. I like the results on both sides better now.
- I cut the top off.
- I removed the fruit using a melon baller.
- I made a fruit salad with the watermelon balls, blueberries and golden honeydew (which was almost white). I put the fruit salad back into the melon, placed it on a red, white and blue table cloth and ended up with two different, pretty star spangled 4th of July watermelon bowls.
To find out more about our Pattern Transfer Fabric and how it makes carving melons faster, easier and with better results, click here.
To learn details of carving melon bowls like these, check out our Star Flower Bowl video lessons. Right now, when you join the Star Flower Bowl lesson, you’ll get my printable Star Spangled pattern as a free bonus. Whether you join our Star Flower video lessons with the DVD or the ONLINE ONLY version, you will get access to your lessons online so that you can start carving right away. The pattern is delivered digitally and you can started carving right away. The Transfer Pattern Fabric does need to be shipped so don’t delay in ordering.
I hope that you enjoyed seeing these two star spangled watermelon bowl ideas. Happy Carving!